Friday, October 5, 2012

In this cartoon, a gunned criminal is trying to mug a seemingly wealthy man. The caption says "You're too late." Noting the news headlines in the background, I realized that the cartoon is implying that because of the current economic crisis, he has no money for the criminal to steal. I thought this cartoon was interesting because previous articles I have posted have shown that many people expected crime rates to increase because of the bad economy. Not many people understand why it has decreased, more people are short on money so one would assume that more people would be attempting to steal money. This cartoon made me wonder, are crime rates down because nobody has any money to steal? I look forward to researching this further and posting more about what other people think.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy I find this post so intriguing.. I really am surprised that the crime rates aren't up because everyone would figure, including myself, that people are trying to steal money from others so they can provide for their family and themselves. Everyone thinks this because the economy is so bad right now. But you brought up a really good point- maybe people just don't have the money for others to steal! I really never thought of it like that, but I find that really interesting; and I think that may be one of the main reasons why crime rates aren't as high as originally expected! Great job!!
    -Gabby

    ReplyDelete