Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Me, My Race, and I: The Elephant In the Room

The slideshow that resonated with me was called "The Elephant in the Room." It focused mainly on how Caucasians handle being in the power position in our society. One white man that spoke in the slideshow said "As much as i can try to put myself in someone else's shoes, I'm still a white guy." This statement sparked a lot of thought in my head. I understand what this man was saying because even though I like to think that I understand what black people go through, I know that I can never truly know what it feels like to be in a minority group. The slide show taught me that feeling guilt because I am a white girl and have some advantages that a black girl may not have is not the right way to handle my position. Rather than guilt, the emotion that I should feel is righteous anger. So many people, both black and white, would like to change this aspect of our society, they just don't know how to go about it. As they said in the video, we have to be proactive and put our righteous anger to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment