Sunday, December 9, 2012

Q: What did you learn? A: After watching part four and five of "A Class Divided" I learned that that even adults can be susceptible to Jane Elliott's experiment. Prejudice is not bound by age and it is clear that everyone can stand to learn a little about how difficult it is to be discriminated against. Q: What scene or scenes do you think you'll still remember a month from now and why those scenes? A: I think that I will remember the scene from part four when the blue-eyed woman lashed out at Jane Elliott. It showed me how extreme a person's reaction can be to discrimination in such a short time. This woman was was discriminated against for a few hours while minorities are discriminated against their entire lives; it put things into perspective for me. Q: Did any part of the film surprise you? Do you think someone of a different race, ethnicity, or religion would also find it surprising? A: I was surprised by the scene I mentioned in the last question. I did think that the experiment would work but I was surprised to see how angry the blue-eyed woman was, even as an adult. I think that the scene wouldn't be as surprising to someone who is part of a minority group because they have felt the same frustrations as the blue-eyed woman who acted out. To someone of a different race, ethnicity, or religion this type of reaction would probably be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment